Monday, September 21, 2009

New Perspective

I finally have the results from my blood test. It took 2 1/2 weeks because the Doctor wouldn't review and release the results. Everything was absolutely and completely normal. I don't have lupus or rheumotoid arthritis. I'm not anemic. When the nurse told me that over the phone that everything looked great, I was disappointed. "Now what should I do?" I asked her, "I'm still in pain". She seemed genuinely surprised about the request. "Hold on," she said, "I'll go ask the doctor". Five minutes later she came with news that my doctor at the time wanted me to go see a rheumatologist, who in the words of Wikipedia we trust, quote: "Rheumatologists deal mainly with clinical problems involving joints, soft tissues, and the allied conditions of connective tissues." I don't even know what the phrase, "allied conditions of connective tissues" means, other than it sounds like the connective tissues of my body got together to unionize to collectively bargain for better working conditions and an increase in pay.

I said no thank you to the rheumatologist, although I'm sure they are very nice people. I instead made one of the biggest switches of my medical journey as a patient: I left Kelsey-Seybold. I've been a Kelsey patient since I moved to Texas. My Ob-Gyn that was there at Zac's birth was a Kelsey doc. My primary care doctor, orthopedist, and dermatologist all work for Kelsey.

I saw a primary care physician at a big name clinic in the Medical Center. After some serious drama that involved me sobbing in the waiting room and begging the receptionist to ask the nurse to reconsider seeing me, I finally saw the doctor. She was nice and very thorough, although ultimately unhelpful. She did a full physical exam and ruled out fibromyalgia because I don't have the classic tender spots that are sensitive to touch. She referred me to an ortho-spinal specialist, possibly for a MRI, but most likely for a "here are some more exercises that you can do to strengthen your core and minimize your muscular-skeletal pain" exam. The referral is being sent to me by mail and will include the name of the doctor that I'm allowed to see. Then I'm supposed to call the doctor's office and make an appointment. God help me if I really was in serious pain. Then what would they do? The new doc didn't give me anything to manage the pain and I didn't ask about it. I did leave with another prescription for the oral fungal infection that has resisted two rounds of treatment with nystatin so far. I'm on week 9 of dealing with a dry, irritated mouth. What to guess how much that sucks? At least it's starting to get a little better.

So, I haven't made any decisions yet about anything. I looked into the possibility of slowing down my graduate degree and only taking one class at a time. Turns out that I'll only be able to do that every other module. I still have the option of taking a module off if the ortho-spinal doc recommends physical therapy or, worse case scenario, surgery. I'm still in the midst of mandatory volunteering and feeling better after sending out 775 invitations to a Montessori event on October 15th. Now I'm just tracking RSVPs and sending out thank you letters. Work is crazy, as always. Zac is good, just a little confused I think about everything that has gone on. I'm still dating Carlo and I'm enjoying spending time with him, even if he likes to pick up weekend, overnight shifts. I'm adjusting to his football rules..slowly. More about that another time.

Right now, I'm moving on and feeling pretty good.

1 comment:

-P said...

Oh my friend. I am so glad you don't have lupus.

XOOXOXO