Saturday, October 30, 2010

Well....There is That

Thank you for the support from my last blog post. It was a very difficult time, but I'm hoping that I've turned a corner. I worked with one of my former teammates from school, which made work incredibly uncomfortable. I also found out that I wasn't qualified for a management training program at work, so I started looking for a new job. I went to a two-day career fair at my University and met a guy talking about the brokerage industry that was a Tulane alum. I walked up to him after his talk and we started talking. He called me the next week and we continued our conversation. I sent him my resume and cover letter. Later that week I was asked to come in for a math/finance/economics test and completed a personality test online. Then I was asked to come in for an interview. Then I went in for a second interview at a branch office that is 3 miles from where I live.

....and....I got the job. I know, I was more surprised than anyone. I know work as a Financial Advisor trainee at one of the largest retail brokerage houses in the US. I was accepted into their three-year training program. I quit my old job, took a day off, and started my new job on Friday.

It's all happened so fast. It feels like just last week I wrote my last post about barely making it through each day at work. Now I'm studying for my Series 7 and 66 brokerage and insurance exams and buying business suits. It's a little bit Alice in Wonderland and it hasn't completely sunk in yet. It's hard for me to really believe that my life has taken such a good turn. I'm hesitant to scream, "Woo hoo!" because I still have the same medical challenges that I've had for the past seven years. It's still easier for me to fall asleep than stay awake. But wow...what a difference a month can make.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Wow, congrats on the job! That's incredible!

-P said...

second that! let us know how it's going so far..

xoxox
-P