When I stepped on the scale in August 2007, I weighed 204 pounds. I gasped when I saw the number come up on the digital screen. The last time I had been that heavy was when I was pregnant with Zac. I had just gone through intensive out-patient therapy for depression, lost my job, and was using food to comfort myself on a nightly basis. I knew that it had to stop. At 5'5, 204 was putting me in pre-diabetic, hypertension range.
I started losing weight very, very slowly. I joined WW briefly and then quit, but I didn't go back on Jenny Craig or Quick Weight Loss. I started trying not to binge at night when the panic and sadness found there way back to me.
In September 2007 I started my new job and was able to normalize my eating patterns for breakfast and lunch. Two packets (eventually down to 1 1/2) of weight control oatmeal for breakfast, one morning snack, and a Lean Cuisine for lunch. For dinner I usually ate what my parents made and tried to eat after dinner.
Part of the reason that I haven't written about my weight loss is because it feels like it isn't all completely under my control. In November I started a medication that had a couple of huge side effects: 1) I fell asleep all the time, including while driving a car, during meetings, at work, and while watching tv. It was like I was constantly sedated for about six months; 2) It decreased my appetite significantly. For the first time in my life, I wasn't constantly thinking about food or when I would eat next.
Over the months (and after more than a few flat tires from running into curbs while dozing off at the wheel), the fatigue lessened. I started to feel more in control of my body and what I put into it. I lost more weight and started exercising. I would wake up in the mornings before work and go for a walk that eventually turned into a run.
More than a year later, I've lost almost 35 pounds. I stepped on the scale this morning at 173. That's actually under my pre-pregnancy weight and closer to what I weighed in college while I was working out twice a day.
Now I'm living by myself with Zac in an apartment, working two jobs, and have a healthy dose of mandatory "volunteering" that I have to do and I've found myself slipping back into old habits. Those days of comforting myself with food aren't completely gone. The difference now is that I know what I'm doing and I usually feel sick while I'm eating. and let's call it what it really is. I use the term "comforting" rather loosely, especially since I usually feel sick and angry at myself for overeating. What I'm really doing is binging and I end up hating myself for it. Almost immediately afterwards I wish that I hadn't done it. I wish that I was strong enough to let the urge pass me by.
I have 20 more pounds to go until I get to my goal weight. Honestly, I weighed more than 150 at my high school graduation, so I'm not sure how realistic that number is, but it's just a number to me. I feel healthier than I did a year ago. I'm generally happier with how I look and I don't see myself going off any of my medication anytime soon so at least I don't have to worry that I'll regain the weight from that. I just wish that I had a better handle on the binging and purging cycle. The next 20 pounds by the hardest ones to lose if I don't figure something out.
Not how I expected my morning to go
6 days ago
3 comments:
psssst....oa....ok, i'll stay quiet now. :)
and on another note, what med decreases your appetitite? i thought all AD's increased, you lucked out!
Jenna,
It wasn't an AD, it was a different class of drug, although I've found Wellbutrin seems to also curb my appetite.
ahhh, wellbutrin made me break things. not good.
so did lacmitcal, another class of drug.
and lithium seems just now to cause weight gain, after being on it 6 months. don't i just have the luck!
Post a Comment