Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Just Want One Part of Me to Work

Isn't it fun to jump back and forth between medical conditions? Really, I think I just complain a lot. If it's not my back, it's my mouth. If it's not my mouth, it's my job. If it's not my job, it's my volunteer work or school. See? I'm a barrel of complaints and not fun at all.

Back to my mouth though. I had an "interesting" (if you call getting completely freaked out an "interesting experience") talk with the ENT nurse yesterday. I said that the first round of antibiotics they put me on for my mouth weren't working. They did nothing, actually. My throat still hurts. My mouth is still white, dry, and sticky. So, I asked if they could put me on another class of antibiotics (preferably one with a generic). She said she'd ask the doc and call me back. When she called back, she said that they would call in another prescription for me, but if it didn't work that I would need to go see an Infectious Disease Specialist.

Let me say that again: Infectious Disease Specialist. As in, I quite possibly have a rare form of bacteria that I picked up from God knows where in my lymphatic system. It's expressing itself in my mouth and throat. Every time I have gotten my temperature taken for the past five months, it's been between 99-100. Apparently, I have a relatively harmless infectious disease. It's more like a baby goat at a petting zoo and less like a flea-infected marmot carrying the bubonic plague. Did I mention that I was quarantined for the bubonic plague in Mongolia because someone had died from it? Granted, that was six years ago and none of my symptoms match (of course I checked, do you think I'm an idiot? I'm paranoid, not stupid), but none of my symptoms match anything else either.

I immediately call my sister, who begins wondering why I'm screeching at her. I was just so upset that the nurse wouldn't even tell me what kind of bacteria they cultured out of my throat. I asked the nurse today when I talked to her and she said that she didn't have my chart in front of me, but would fax the information to my primary care physician when I needed a referral to the INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPECIALIST. This kind of specialist is located lovingly in the not-ominous-sounding-at-all Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology.

So many things can cause a white film on your tongue. Add in a sore throat, persistent low-grade fever, resistance to BOTH anti-fungal and antibiotic medication, and you have a nice medical mystery and very annoying condition.

6 comments:

Kelly Lopez said...

You need Dr. House STAT!

Good luck B! I hope you get answers and resolution soon.

Jen said...

If you're worried about it, you could ask them for your chart. They'd probably charge you if you want them to copy it, but it shouldn't cost you anything to look at it. If the info is there, it is yours.

B said...

Baylor is moving toward online charts, but I don't think that the ENT participates yet. I had ALL the results from my annual Pap online (and really, it was more than I wanted to know). I just wish that I knew more about what is growing inside me and how I can make it stop.

-P said...

Agggh!!!!! Mystery bacteria gone wild!! Good luck, B!

Heather said...

YUCK!! So sorry to hear that you are still struggling with this. Hopefully they get it figured out soon.

jenna said...

got caught up a little bit. i hear too many stories like this - i can't imagine how frustrated you are and i applaud you for keeping at it, going to doctor after doctor (even if you wait awhile) and demanding answers. yeah, it sounds scary, but i really don't think you are dying, so maybe having an infectious disease is the answer you're looking for! <3